ABOUT THE WHISKY
Founded as Millhaugh in 1878, on the site of an oatmeal mill, by James Stuart and Co., the Glen Spey Distillery, along with a number of other distilleries, draws its waters from the Rothes Burn. It was purchased in 1887 by W&A Gilbey, an English gin-distilling company. After a fire in 1920 they rebuilt the distillery, and guided it through all the challenges of the World Wars and the Great Depression. In 1962, following a merger, Glen Spey became part of International Distillers and Vintners (IDV), which would eventually become part of Diageo plc in 1997. Glen Spey produces 1.3 million litres/year, from four stills, almost all of which goes into J&B blended whisky; the only official release is a 12yr Flora and Fauna bottling, and independent bottling are rare.
Despite having an herbal and fruity nose up front, the whisky shows an incredibly rich and sweet palate with a creamy texture, but it transforms into a citrusy finish with herbaceous notes again. A very rich, complex and an expressive whisky with a lot of character.
286 bottles produced.